Monday, October 28, 2013

Direct Lesson -Causes & Effects of the Declaration of Independence

Reflection on Teaching: Day 1: Direct Lesson
Topic: The Causes and Effects of the Declaration of Independence. 
Link to Lesson Plan
Link to presentation
Link to worksheet
Link to Quiz

        Today, my group, Group C, presented our direct lesson plan to the 4th grade class at Bishop Dunn Memorial School. Our direct lesson was on the causes and effects of the Declaration of Independence. We handed out worksheets to the students to fill out during the presentation. The worksheet contained information that was in the powerpoint. Caitlyn began the lesson by pre-assessing students' knowledge about events that caused the need for a Declaration. Anne presented the reasons why the colonists were angry. I talked about what a Declaration is and what happened on July 4th, 1776. Rachel described the outcomes of the signing of the Declaration and did a cause and effect activity with the class. We created a t-chart with the causes and effects. Students came to the board and dragged the facts into the appropriate columns. The students then explained why they dragged that certain statement into the column they chose. We asked the class if they agreed or disagreed. Unfortunately, we did not have enough time for our next activity. We were going to present a video to the class on the Declaration of Independence. Laura gave the closure. She reviewed with the class what they had learned throughout the lesson. We handed out a quiz to the students to complete as independent practice at home. The quiz contained facts about what was presented in the lesson. 

Reflection: As a group, we worked very hard on this lesson. We did not realize how pressed for time we really were. I wish we had more time to completely finish our lesson. The video was fun and incorporated many facts that we had talked about. I felt that because we were pressed for time, we scrambled and rushed through our presentation. Things to improve on: at one point or another, we all slipped and said the word "guys". As I was saying this word, I realized I made a huge mistake and was so disappointed in myself that I had said it. It is a word that rolls off the tongue without even realizing it and I think as a group we have to practice and be more aware that we are using this word. For the group, I think we need to be more positive about the responses we give to students after they answer. Many of us said: "no" or just ignored some students answers. We need to focus on how to properly address students positively when they give an answer. Also for everyone since we are pressed for time, we cannot go off topic or elaborate anything that was not mentioned in the script in the lesson plan. 

My teaching- In general I think I did well. I spoke as loudly and clearly as I could even though I was sick. I tried to keep students engaged and make what I was presenting fun and interesting. However, I know there are things I can improve on. I need to work on my vocabulary skills and not say "guys" , also I am going to avoid saying things that are not in our lesson plan since we are pressed on time.

No comments:

Post a Comment